- Phonics & Word Study
- Grades 4–12
- Tiers 2 & 3
- Print Format
Decode, Spell, and Understand Multisyllabic Words
Megawords teaches the reading, spelling, and contextual uses of multisyllabic words through multisensory instruction and a systematic progression of skills. Words are presented in lists arranged by word structure and spelling pattern. The Megawords program is skills-based and can be used in a variety of settings. Students first work with word parts and syllables, then combine syllables into whole words. They use words in context, participate in exercises to increase reading and spelling proficiency, and read content-area passages using words in context. Megawords offers multiple opportunities for student assessment, including a placement assessment, checklists, and progress-monitoring tools.
Expand Students’ Understanding of Multisyllabic Words
Teacher Materials include a diagnostic assessment that helps teachers place students in the appropriate Megawords level and analyze errors for an accurate picture of skill strengths and weaknesses. Teacher’s Guides provide direct, point-of-use instruction according to the Megawords six-step instructional plan. Clearly labeled steps, sub-skills, objectives, and page references help teachers quickly find what they need for each lesson. Also includes:
- Suggestions for differentiating instruction
- Assessment tips for progress monitoring
- Reproducible assessment and recording forms
- Student book answer key
Each student book focuses on a specific group of advanced phonics or word study skills. A placement test pinpoints the levels and word lists students will need to focus on. For each word list, multisensory exercises require students to read, say, and write words and word parts. Student Book exercises include:
- One-syllable word parts or affixes
- Decoding and encoding
- Recognizing syllable patterns
- Using words in context and understanding word meaning
- Review sections to reinforce concepts
- Content-area reading passages with comprehension, vocabulary, and fluency practice
- Supports Science of Reading principles through multisensory, systematic instruction.
- Empowers students in grades 4–12 to broaden their reading skills beyond simple words.
- Engages students in decoding, spelling and understanding the contextual use of longer, more difficult words providing them with the foundation to read and use multisyllabic words.
- Proven successful for individual, small group or entire class instruction