- Comprehension & Vocabulary
- Grades 3–12
- Tiers 2 & 3
- Print Format
Skills-Based Instruction & Practice for Comprehension Development
Reading Comprehension provides skills-based, genre-specific instruction and practice that uses close reading to build comprehension skills in each lesson. Lessons are genre-specific and allow for flexibility with starting points within the program. SPIRE Next presents a real solution for striving students who need additional focus developing their comprehension skills through direct reading instruction, scaffolded practice, and close reading strategies.
Maximize the Opportunities for Comprehension Skills Development with the Close Reading Support of S.P.I.R.E. Next
- First read focuses on developing a reading-comprehension skill.
- Second read focuses on a literary or genre skill.
- Third read focuses on critical thinking.
Reading Comprehension Student Edition Features:
- Multiple lessons in each book include at least two stories per close reading lesson and at least two skills per story.
- Each lesson presents three close read opportunities to build comprehension skills; literary or genre skills; and critical thinking skills.
- The color-coded navigation makes it easy to teach and practice critical reading skills.
SPIRE Next: Reading Comprehension Teacher’s Manual Features:
- In-depth instruction and modeling of skills and strategies that support close reading.
- Optional fluency and foundational skills activities.
- Rubrics at point of use.
- Explanations of the objective and skills the student will learn in each close read.
- The lesson overview chart saves preparation time. A breakdown of the lesson's components helps teachers plan.
- Objectives and granular reading comprehension, literary, genre, and vocabulary skills give teachers at-a-glance information about the lesson's focus.
- Color coding orients the teacher to the three-read process.
- Scaffolded instruction and interactive prompts provide successive intervention for the callout prompts in the Student Edition.
- Support for striving learners is provided at point of use.
SPIRE Next: Reading Comprehension Highlights
- Provides direct instruction with scaffolded practice for striving students.
- Uses close reading pedagogy to provide multiple opportunities for comprehension skills development.
- Offers a balance of fiction and nonfiction texts and genres appropriate to the grade level being taught.
- Can be used with students exiting S.P.I.R.E. Level 4.